Friday, July 1, 2011

Ahhh...Tee Ball

Some days I kind of think that if I didn't have my kids around, I might go crazy. But then I think, I've been told by my ex husband for the last 3 years that if we didn't have kids, we wouldn't be divorced. Still, I remain convinced they keep me sane. Mostly.

One of my greatest joys this spring and early summer has been watching them in tee ball. Kennedy is 7, and the oldest on the team. Wyatt is 5, and the youngest. Watching both ends of the spectrum has been interesting. Kennedy started out the season tentative, just like she ended last year, barely swinging the bat, and if the ball was thrown to her, she'd cross her legs to not get hit, close her eyes, and stick out her glove like she was going to catch a 30 pound lead ball. Wyatt was the opposite, swinging for the fences, throwing balls hard, and going after everything that was within 50 feet of him.

But things have changed. Kennedy now has her swing down pat. She is throwing like a dude. She hits base hits and RBI's. Ok, everybody in tee ball hits an RBI, but still. She totally hits them the best. She is more confident than any kid on the field and it is amazing to see how far she's come. She even said the other day she wants to be an all-star. I didn't tell her she'd have to sign up again, only for softball, to be an all-star. Wyatt changed his swing, and put his body into it. He's still chasing balls at first when he's playing third. But the funniest thing about that kid, is his worst fear in life is to be tagged. He runs faster than most adults I know with a look of determination that I've only seen in the Olympics, his only goal being not to get tagged. It is the funniest thing I've ever seen, and it won him many adult admirers for his hustle and squirly moves down the third base line.

I don't feel like I'm the kind of parent that jumps up and down and claps and squeals with every at bat. I absolutely cheer my kids on, but I also know they would shoot me a look of daggers if I embarrassed them by cheering too loudly. Duh. After the game, no matter how they played, I tell them I'm proud of them and as long as they tried their best, that's all I ask.

Their dad, on the other hand, will say things like, "I guess I'm going to have to find a new son that isn't afraid of the ball....." or "Kennedy, if you ran a little faster, you wouldn't get out on the base...." Seriously.

Their coach handed out medals to all the kids. I don't like everyone winning all the time, but I'm all for 5 and 6 year olds getting a medal at the end of the year for working hard and improving. I took pictures, hugged them, said how proud I was that I got to be the mom of the two best kids on the team, only because of their hard work in between games. What does their dad say? "I hope you guys don't get silver medals for the rest of your lives. Second place is first loser." Ok. I get that second place is first loser and all that crap, but really, can't you just let them revel, even for a few minutes, in their accomplishments? It's all they've got right now.

I may not be the best mom on the block, but I've got my kids' back no matter what. And as long as they work hard and are better people every day, I am proud of them. I only wish they had two positive outlooks in their lives instead of one cancelling me out.

1 comment:

  1. Way to keep building up your kids Jamie. Whatever you do as a mom your children will remember when they are older and it will reflect in their character and how they live. Just keep doing what you are doing no matter how frustrating it gets at times. There is always one watching us do what we do at all times...whether it's parenting or playing in a T-ball game. And His opinion is what really counts anyways right? ;) Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete