Sunday, March 27, 2011

Post-Birthday Recovery

When my kids have had birthdays, we've always invited a few of their close friends and some family members. The past couple of years, Kennedy has been wanting to invite school friends. Since our family has been out of town for the last 3 or 4 birthdays/birthday parties, I didn't figure it would be a big deal to invite more of her friends.

Last year for her 6th birthday, while Kennedy was in kindergarten,she had 5 or 6 friends over. We rented Curly the Clown, which, in theory sounds fun, but let me tell you he was one card short of a full deck. On a good day. His jokes weren't funny, he was super loud and obnoxious, and I kind of wondered which of the little girls he was going to follow home. I'm not sure what I expected from a clown, but I guess maybe not scaring the kids was one of my prerequisites. But that's just me. So Uncle Curly came and went, and so did another year.

This year, when Kennedy turned 7, which she just insisted on doing, she wanted friends AND a sleepover. And maybe something fun at the party.....kthanksmom. So I rented this company that brings animals to your party. You know, like birds, and snakes, and hedgehogs and such. I initially told the company I thought there would be 6 or 7 kids there. We ended up? With 13. THIRTEEN. Thirteen mouths for pizza. Thirteen mouths for cake and ice cream. Thirteen children to keep any eye on so no one escapes. Also? Thirteen children at once on the trampoline. There were only 2 bloody lips, 1 bloody nose, 1 twisted ankle, and a partridge in a pear tree. Clearly I am still drunk. The party went off without a hitch, and everyone came and went. The house only took me an hour or so to put back together. Kennedy's presents are all in the playroom now, and all is well in our household again. And when I woke up this morning, it seriously hurt to get out of bed. Three hours of non-stop up to heeeeere stress, I guess does that to a girl.

Needless to say, the birthday party wore me out. But I am so glad we did it. Kennedy had a blast, Wyatt had fun, and all of Kennedy's friends can't wait to come over again. I thought, after recovering for a few hours, ok it really wasn't THAT bad. So as we sat on the couch last night drinking a glass of wine (me, not her!), she looked at me and said, Mom, next year for my birthday party can we take my friends to Disneyland?

What kind of expectations have I set?

No comments:

Post a Comment